Dr. Daniel Tune
Carbon nanotube photovoltaics
Research Unit: Charge Transport and Light-Matter Interaction in Carbon Nanosystems
daniel tune∂kit edu
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Institute of Nanotechnology
76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen, Germany
Academic education and degrees
- 2009 – 2013 PhD, Flinders University, 2014, Prof. Joseph Shapter - "Single walled carbon nanotube photovoltaics"
- 2005 – 2008 BSc in Nanotechnology with Honours, Flinders University, 2009, Prof. Joseph Shapter and Prof. Jamie Quinton
Career since final degree
- since 2014 Postdoctoral Researcher, Institute of Nanotechnology, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
- 2014 – 2017 Full Academic Status (Lecturer, Level B), Flinders University
- 2013 – 2014 Design Engineer/Scientific Researcher, PMB Defense Engineering (p/t)
- 2013 – 2014 Postdoctoral Researcher, Flinders Univerity (p/t)
- The interface between carbon nanotubes and other semiconductors for photovoltaics, particularly carbon nanotube-silicon heterojunction solar cells
- Current work investigating carbon nanotube-fullerene solar cells within the 'Carbon Nanotubes, Solar Cells and Sensors' group of Dr. Benjamin Flavel
- Strong track record of fundamental and applied research in these areas, documented by numerous publications in high impact journals, in addition to other work surrounding the preparation, characterisation, and controlled manipulation of carbon nanotubes, and the simulation and modelling of their optical properties
- 29 publications in international journals with over 500 citations, 1 book, 1 chapter, 14 conference presentations, h-factor 14
Selected publications (metrics here)
Advances in carbon nanotube-silicon heterojunction solar cells
Tune, D.D.; Flavel, B.S.
Advanced Energy Materials 8(15) (2018) 1703241. [10.1002/aenm.201703241]
Fitting single walled carbon nanotube optical absorption spectra
Pfohl, M.; Tune, D.D.; Graf, A.; Zaumseil, J.; Krupke, R.; Flavel, B.S.
ACS Omega 2 (2017) 1163-1171. [10.1021/acsomega.6b00468]
Performance enhancement of polymer-free carbon nanotube solar cells via transfer matrix modeling
Pfohl, M.; Glaser, K.; Ludwig, J.; Tune, D.D.; Dehm, S.; Kayser, C.; Colsmann, A.; Krupke, R.; Flavel, B.S.
Advanced Energy Materials 6(1) (2016) 1501345/1-9. [10.1002/aenm.201501345]
Aligned carbon nanotube thin films from liquid crystal polyelectrolyte inks
Tune, D.D.; Blanch, A.J.; Shearer, C.J.; Moore, K.E.; Pfohl, M.; Shapter, J.G; Flavel, B.S.
ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 7(46) (2015) 25857-25864. [10.1021/acsami.5b08212]
Double walled carbon nanotube processing
Moore, K.E.; Tune, D.D.; Flavel, B.S.
Advanced Materials 27(20) (2015) 3105-3137. [10.1002/adma.201405686]
The potential sunlight harvesting efficiency of carbon nanotube solar cells
Tune, D.D.; Shapter, J.G.
Energy & Environmental Science 6(9) (2013) 2572-2577. [10.1039/C3EE41731J]
The role of nanotubes in carbon nanotube-silicon solar cells
Tune, D.D.; Hennrich, F.; Dehm, S.; Klein, M.F.G.; Glaser, K.; Colsmann, A.; Shapter, J.G.; Lemmer, U.; Kappes, M.M.; Krupke, R.; Flavel, B.S.
Advanced Energy Materials 3(8) (2013) 1091-1097. [10.1002/aenm.201200949]
Carbon nanotube-silicon solar cells
Tune, D.D.; Flavel, B.S.; Krupke, R.; Shapter, J.G.
Advanced Energy Materials 2(9) (2012) 1043-1055. [10.1002/aenm.201200249]
- 2014 South Australian Science Excellence Award - PhD Research Category
- 2013 Vice-Chancellor's Award for Early Career Researchers
- 2013 Vice-Chancellor's Prize for Doctoral Thesis Excellence
- 2013 Australian Academy of Science Early Career Researchers Program
- 2011 Flinders University Academic Internship for Doctoral Students Program
- 2009 Chancellor's Letter of Commendation for Honours Research Excellence
- 2008 The Sir Ross and Sir Keith Smith Fund Honours Scholarship
- PhD students: 1, Master/Bachelor students: 9 (all co-supervised, primary supervisor Prof. Joseph Shapter)
- 2012 Flinders University, Lecturer: Undergraduate Chemistry
- 2011 Flinders University, Tutor: Applied Spectroscopy; Nanotechnology 3 for Masters Students; Nanotechnology 2; Thermodynamics; Nanotechnology 1; Engineering Physics; Chemistry 1A; Introduction to Chemistry 1A; Physics 1A
- 2010 Flinders University, Tutor: Nanotechnology 3; Nanotechnology 2; Nanotechnology 2 for Masters Students; Classical Physics; Instrumentation for Scientists; Physics 1B; Chemistry 1B; Introduction to Chemistry 1A
- 2009 Flinders University, Tutor: Nanotechnology 2 for Masters Students; Classical Physics; Frontier Physics; Instrumentation for Scientists; Nanotechnology 1; Physics 1A & B; Introduction to Chemistry 1B
- 2008 Flinders University, Tutor: Classical Physics; Physics 1A & B; Introduction to Chemistry 1A & B; Physics for the Life Sciences 1B
Miscellaneous professional activities
- Reviewer of journals: ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, ACS Applied Nano Materials, Advanced Electronic Materials, Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology, Carbon, Composites Science and Technology, Journal of Materials Science, Journal of Nanomaterials, Nanoethics, Nanomaterials, Nanoscale Research Letters, Sensors
- Member of the Renewable Energy and Alternative Technologies Editorial Advisory Board of Cambridge Scholars Publishing
- Session Chair of the Nanoparticle Characterisation Symposium of the International Conference on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Adelaide, 2014
- Participant of the Australian Academy of Science's EMCR workshop 'Science Pathways 2013 - Engaging with Industry', 2013
- Member of the South Australian Renewable Energy Institute, 2013 - 2014
- Participant of the Early and Mid-Career Researchers Program of the Australian Academy of Science 2013
- Activity Coordinator - National Science and Engineering SuperChallenge, Adelaide, 2011
- Participant of the Flinders University Academic Internship Program, 2011
- Organising Committee & Session Chair – The Australian Research Network for Advanced Materials and Australian Nanotechnology Network (ARNAM/ARCNN) Joint Workshop, Flinders University, 2010
- Renewable Technologies and Research Discussion Panel with SA Department of Environment and Heritage, Adelaide, 2010
- Activity Coordinator – Chemical Murder Mystery Forensic Science Day for Secondary Students, Flinders University, 2009 - 2012