Equipment & Facilities
The Institute of Nanotechnology (INT) is a world-class facility with equipment and technologies ranging from imaging and diffraction to cryophysics. And for those requiring custom-made glass apparatus or unique, manufactured devices, we have an in-house glassblowing workshop and mechanical and electrical workshops.
Recently we have taken the effort to create virtual lab tours through some of our synthesis, structuring and spectroscopy facilities.
- BELLA lab on battery research
- Inert Gas Condensation lab for production of nanomaterials
- UHV lab for nanomaterials production and in-situ analysis
- Atomic Layer Deposition lab for production of oxide layers
- Moessbauer lab for Moessbauer spectroscopy
- Single Crystal X-ray diffractometer lab featuring a Gallium-Jet X-ray diffractometer
- Powder X-ray diffractometer lab
- Transmission Electron Microscopy lab featuring a Themis Z double-corrected TEM
- Magnetometry lab with several SQUID instruments and Helium liquefier
Open-access Facilities (KNMF)
The INT also collaborates with the Karlsruhe Nano Micro Facility (KNMF), a large-scale facility providing public users from industry and academia free access to state-of-the-art micro and nanotechnologies. Part of this facility is coordinated in-house as the Electron Microscopy and Spectroscopy Laboratory.
The FEI Titan TEM is just one of the top level instruments in the field of electron microscopy and X-ray diffraction.
In addition to standard instruments like NMR or MALDI-TOF, home-build installations enable rather unique research activities.
An enormous variety of surface structuring methods as well as three-dimensional nanolithography is available at the INT.
Our synthetic capabilities in chemistry and nanomaterials are the foundation of our research efforts.
Base temperatures down to 7 mK can be obtained in our cryogenic equipment.
Our INTCOOL compute cluster is a local complement to the central computing resources at the KIT.
Our glassblowing workshop has the ability to manufacture unique pieces and small series according to the needs of our scientists.
This workshop has the ability to manufacture unique pieces and small series according the requirements of our scientists.